Tuesday, February 21, 2012

2.20.12 Views Along the Shore

Nice to end my first week on a new job with a 3-day weekend, courtesy of dead Presidents. I took a walk around the island, and it was pretty frosty out, unlike yesterday, but not too cold for these two fair-weathered, fine-feathered fowl who were making quite a racket as I walked by. I figured they were in need of some attention, so I humored them and hopped over the guardrail by the side of the road and went down to the shore to snap a few pics. This was perhaps the best shot because they were so busy posturing that they wouldn't hold still for long.

Before clambering back up to the road, I spotted an interesting ice formation and moved closer to get a better look. I wondered what had caused the ice to form in this way, then on closer inspection noticed there was a pipe in the center of the ice cluster, pumping water into the river -- why? Who knows? But it created a pretty cool ice sculpture there on the shore, to endure for as long as the temperatures will allow. I returned to the road and was soon back home, ready to enjoy the rest of my holiday. I didn't do much, but sometimes that's a good thing. In the evening we watched a sweet Cuban film about a young boy and girl--best friends who run away together to avoid being separated by the girl's impending relocation. We chose the film in honor of the trip to Cuba we're planning for next fall. It was a good choice, the name of the film: Viva Cuba. Give it a try.

Life flows on, in and around us—watch it closely and enjoy it, before it melts away.

D.E.S.




No comments:

Post a Comment