Monday, February 13, 2012

2.13.12 Foxes on Parade

Today was my first day on a new job, so I dispensed with the early morning island walk. It was a wonderful day and thus far I'm very happy with my new employer, workplace, and co-workers (those I've met). Snow had begun to fly moments before I left the office, and it was a slow and careful drive during the height of rush hour and still I reached my island home in 25 minutes.

I pulled over in front of the house a tad too rapidly, and the car slid, bumping into the curb. As I turned to open my door, silently hoping the car had sustained no damage, I caught a glimpse of something through my window, out of the corner of my eye. I did a double take and marveled to see my old foxy friend sauntering along in the middle of the street, right past my astonished eyes. No sooner had my amazement subsided when along comes another one, following behind, just as leisurely. "Holy crap," I think, "the island is being overrun by foxes!"

I didn't have my camera with me (wished I had!), but they looked just like the one in this picture. They continued sauntering down the street as I got out of the car and called and whistled to them. They didn't pay me any mind but just continued on their way. I felt more vindicated than ever in the choice of what I'd painted on our mailbox.

For those who may not recall, here is my tribute to our island co-habitants, and after this evening's sighting, I don't mind saying it's a pretty good likeness. I now feel surer than ever that I haven't seen the last of my vulpine friends. My reading tells me that red foxes either establish stable home ranges within particular areas or are itinerant with no fixed abode. Given the urban landscape that surrounds us, I suspect that these foxes would be most apt to adopt the stable home range provided by the island. With any luck, I will have my camera with me during our next encounter.

Life flows on, in and around us—and sometimes it is covered with fur and walks on four legs.

D.E.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment