Wednesday, February 1, 2012

1.30.12 Embracing Life's Flotsam and Jetsam!

Today I walked off the island and over a bridge to the downtown Minneapolis side, where there are some scenic riverside nooks and retreats that provide some interesting perspectives on the river.

Here, for example, I am crossing a small wooden foot bridge when these fine feathered fowl decided to climb out of the water and traipse over the ice. They made a rather comical picture as they sallied forward, like an intrepid band of Three Musketeers out to wage battle. They were definitely attracted by yours truly, as they looked up expectantly, mutely petitioning me for anything I had to give.

Unfortunately for them, I had nothing to give, except the immortality of appearing in my blog, which I'm not sure would have impressed them. But, too bad for them, I happen to be well acquainted with the signs posted in the area cautioning against feeding the local water fowl, and I wouldn't dream of breaking the law just to make a duck's day.


As I turned in the other direction, to look out over the river, I spied this peculiar configuration of sartorial castoffs adorning the shore. I must say, you see some strange sights if you hang around the river often enough. Was it merely some local joker wishing to force passersby to do a doubletake, or did The Incredible Shrinking Man meet his ultimate destiny here on the shore? Whatever the case, I didn't dwell on these rags for long, but allowed my eye to travel on, along the shoreline. It didn't have to travel far before falling upon another peculiar sight. At approximately the center of this next photograph, you will perceive an article that undeniably belongs on the shore of every great river: a rocking chair!


I guess today was just a day for happening upon strange things. We all have those days, don't we? We suddenly come upon something in a place where we never expected such a thing to appear. And how do we react? Do we embrace the unexpected? Do we scoff or sneer at it? Or do we simply ignore it and go on our way, as though it were never there at all? I suspect the latter is what most people do, and the reaction I myself would hope to avoid if possible. I would prefer to be one who embraces the unexpected and incorporates it into his day--even celebrating it should there be even a tenuous reason for doing so. For isn't the encountering of the different, the strange, the unknown, what makes life interesting? How boring would life be if everything were always just the same--if everything we saw was always exactly what we expected to see, in exactly the place where we expected to see it!

Life flows on, in and around us--and how delightfully it can vibrate and sing when it flows in ways, and in places, and into circumstances it has never known before!

D.E.S.

2 comments: