Sunday, February 12, 2012

2.11.12 Coming Home

As wonderful as it was to spend time with our children and grandchild, there is no denying the pleasurable feeling of arriving back home to our island sanctuary. We got back last night, and first thing this morning I logged on and learned of Whitney Houston's passing, saddening if unsurprising news. Then, having missed the island and eager to renew our acquaintance, I bundled up and headed out for my morning constitutional.

I made a quick circuit of the island, and it was cold enough to freeze a few nose hairs. I saw nothing especially noteworthy, except perhaps for a group of about ten runners loping along E. Island Ave. as I headed up that shoreline toward home. Before that, though, I paused on the Merriam St. bridge when I noticed that a train was passing and would block my way unless I dilly-dallied a bit. So I hung fire on the bridge and snapped this photo, which only served to remind me of what a schlumpy, nerdy picture of a doofus I was. Oh well, in Minnesota in the winter, there is no place for vanity.

I would much prefer to reflect upon this photo of a pleasant family meal enjoyed at a highly touted Chinese restaurant in Kansas City. Here we see my eldest son, my younger son and his girlfriend, and my wife and I. The meal was fantastic and we all left feeling very satisfied. I miss them already, and our granddaughter, who joined us shortly after this shot was taken.


There was a considerable amount of reflecting upon Whitney Houston this afternoon and evening. Although the cause of death remains unknown, the conclusion one leaps to is that drugs were involved. And I can't help feeling saddened for her, and for all those who allow drugs into their lives, not fully realizing how strong a hold those substances can have, and the extent of the dangers they represent. My own brother, like Whitney, was a user of crack cocaine, and many other drugs. He died in his bed at 36 after shooting up what he surely did not realize was to be his final high. I'm thinking that maybe Whitney did the same thing, just another occasion of getting high, not realizing the toll that drug use over many years had taken on her poor vulnerable heart.

The human heart is good for so many things—but there are so many things that are not good for the human heart.

Life flows on, in and around us—embrace it, protect it, and love it as long as you can.

D.E.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment