Sunday, March 11, 2012

3.11.12 Friends Old and New

Last night an old friend surfaced on Facebook to re-connect with me. It had been close to twenty years since I'd seen or spoken to him. Since that time, our lives have taken us in different directions, to different places both literal and figurative. Yet we have spent those years in many of the same ways--we've raised families, been part of a community, earned a living, and gone through each day doing what humans do--eating, drinking, loving, sleeping, pursuing our interests, and contemplating the universe. For, as I recall, he was a contemplative soul much like myself.

When last I'd seen this friend, he had begun to carve a chess set out of wood. At the time, he had completed a single piece--a pawn, I believe. Over the years, I have often wondered if he'd ever finished the entire set. Here you see the answer to my wonderings, and a sight that makes my heart glad. When considered against the myriad worthy endeavors which so many people set out to achieve but--for whatever reasons--never do, it is gratifying and admirable to behold my friend's achievement of this unique and challenging and time-consuming objective. Bravo!

Yesterday on my Saturday morning walk around the island, I made a new friend. A delightfully friendly and interesting person named Sarah (hmm, h or no h?), with whom I spent the better part of an hour chatting about the island and the experience of relocating to Minnesota. She herself had come from North Carolina, fairly recently. Sarah was a perfect model of how easy it is, or can be, to be friendly--something which, sad to say, many people have yet to understand and put into practice.

Just before meeting Sarah, I'd been looking out over the river with my feathered friends, who really behave as though, on this island, they rule the roost, so to speak. I noticed a couple of them just this morning, gracing with their regal presence one of those circular docks in the river. But I think this one picture of them will suffice, they've received enough exposure already through my lens.


A few steps farther along, and I passed Sarah sitting on a bench, on the rear patio of the Nicollet Island Pavilion building, accompanied by a canine companion and looking out over the river. It was a beautiful morning. We exchanged hellos as I walked past, but upon leaving the patio I stopped to regard something which I knew had not been there the day before.

That's right, these upright space heaters, about three of them, which gave me pause. I turned to survey the parking lot adjoining the Pavilion and noticed it was filled with cars and trucks, and that there were men unloading chairs and various articles. Ah, so there was to be a wedding reception or other event here today, hence the space heaters. Mystery solved. But as I stood there observing the parking lot activity, Sarah came along and asked if I was all right. I guess I may have looked a bit lost at sea. I assured her that I was in full command of my faculties, and we began chatting like old friends, just like that--although, in fact, we were brand new friends. It can be just that easy, folks! I guess we were really new acquaintances, perhaps to become friends in time, but I prefer to think of people I meet as friends, rather than as acquaintances, which is just too long a word and too much trouble to trot out.

But Sarah was not the only friend I made--here is her faithful companion, Taylor, who I suspect may have been expecting a treat to emerge from my pocket rather than a silly camera. The three of us continued around the island together, enjoying pleasant conversation and the occasional pause to urinate (Taylor, that is, not Sarah or I). I may have bid some very dear friends farewell (my LPs), but I have also made a new friend. I will continue to discover new music and perhaps listen to and store it in more contemporary and economical ways. And I will continue to make new friends and cultivate new experiences, travel to new places, and hopefully, think new and interesting thoughts, achieve new goals. But for now, I will simply enjoy what's left of this beautiful springlike weekend on Nicollet Island.



Life flows on, in and around us—friends come and friends go, and sometimes, they come again when we least expect.

D.E.S.

2 comments:

  1. Doug,
    Thanks for your kind words. The pleasure of finding you again after all these years and seeing your continued love for life and the people you meet has been uniquely fulfilling. I'm looking forward to reading your book and listening to your music. You have always been so talented!
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still as kind as you always were -- thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete