Tuesday, January 3, 2012

1.3.12 You Take My Breath Away

Minnesota, that's who! Or maybe I should say the Minnesota winter. That's who takes my breath away, or at least did this morning during my stroll which early on turned into more of a speed walk. The bitter cold, which yesterday I mentioned had finally arrived, decided to stay the night and was here bright and early today to greet me. My online sources tell me the temperature is currently 10 degrees and that it feels like zero degrees with the wind chill factored in, but my personal reading is that it feels considerably colder than zero here alongside the mighty Mississippi. Such conditions did not make for a very contemplative turn of mind.

Even the local wildlife was hunkered down this morning, and the only living thing I saw was a small black squirrel, and even he seemed to be in a hurry to get where he was going. My silver Christmas ball was still hanging on its tree at the island's southern tip, so I snapped another picture. It didn't come out so great, so here is one I took of the city where the sun was reflecting off one of the buildings.

I hope the temperature settles down (or rather, up) by tomorrow or my morning walks will become decidedly more somber and undoubtedly produce cranky blog entries, no fun for anyone. But we've had pretty delightful weather up until now, for which the past 13 years in Minnesota has taught me I must be thankful. Even if the next three months are one perpetually freezing hell, it's only three months, right? During so much of the year, Minnesota takes my breath away in good ways, so I guess if it insists on making me gasp for breath over the course of a few arctic months, that is just the price I must pay. Note to self: don't wear glasses when out walking--the lens fog induced by the cold limits visibility and makes for a less pleasant experience.

Life flows on, in and around us--and sometimes freezes us in our tracks, as it freezes even the mighty river.

D.E.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment